Sunday, April 26, 2009

Planning for Crisis--minor or major

After the horrid shooting that took place at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA, many schools launched into crisis planning to figure out what to do if similar events happened on their campuses.

While many felt it was overreacting to a painful and scary event, it has proved to be very useful in lots of other minor crises since then.

At our school, committees were formed to draft policy for what to do if such a crisis as a shooter happened. Some felt like it was overkill--this would never happen here, right? But the policies were written and filed. Faculty and staff attended training sessions where videos were shown on how to act if there was an active shooter.

The university system implemented a new auto-response emergency notification system called Noti-Find. This computer generated messaging system simultaneously sends out messages to email, phone, and cell phones. At the time it was implemented, it was likely with the idea of such a crisis as Virginia Tech.

Since then, however, it has been used several times over this ridiculously long and frigid winter to notify employees and students of campus closings. This use in itself has been a huge plus for me.

In the past, I have made the treacherous drive into work in inclement conditions because if I did not, I would be required to take annual leave. On at least one occasion, I arrived only to find out the campus closed and I could go home. That drive home was not any nicer than the drive in.

So this winter when notifind called me to let me know the campus was closing, I was so grateful not to have made that drive in as I had done in the past. Thank you Noti-Find!!

After 9/11, another type of planning went into effect that I have never had to use--how to handle suspicious mail, telephone bomb threats, or abandoned luggage or suspicious cases in public areas. However, I have to say, every time I rip open an envelope and the paper dust floats around, I can't help but think of anthrax spores.

While we have not had the type of crisis that has been planned for, at least the measures taken have proved useful in other more practical and mundane areas. Hopefully, we will never need them for what they were actually designed for.

5 comments:

  1. People say that rules and laws are made with 5% of the population in mind. The population that they are speaking of is the one that would engage in those behaviors if rules were not present.

    I think crisis plans are like those rules in a way. Institutions create these plans in the hopes of never having to use them. However, we would hate for someone to take advantage of our unpreparedness and drop a bomb or initiate a school shooting. Thus, we become prepared by arming ourselves with knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think the Noti-Find system is a wonderful new tool for us in the University System. We used it many times this year already for school closings and re-openings. I wasn't really crazy about getting a 5:00 am phone call, but it just let me know I could stay in bed longer!!

    I think this system is a great tool to keep in contact with students, as long as everyone is registered. Between Noti-Find with phone messages and text messages and also notices on the Web, the needed information is out there for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that noti-find is a great new source for everyone to have. I live near campus and I have also woke up early to leave for class only to find no one around and no one teaching me. Most college students wake up already late for class and make it with nothing said. On this occasion of not having class I was bitter sweet. I was ready for a break, but I also had woken up early to ask a few questions and made the walk through the snow and then I had to make the walk back for nothing. I understand how frustrating it can be for a drive let alone a walk, so thanks for the noti-find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didnt realize that Notifind notified us of school closure, i thought it was just for emergency notification. If i would have know that i would have registered for it, because i never knew when shcool was closed. I dont have a car and live about 7 blocks from campus and on more than one occastion walked to school and come to find out it was canceled.

    I agree that it is a great system just incase there was a crisis that where to happen, it would notify students and faculty to stay out of certain areas and move to saftey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit that I am quite impressed with Valley City State University’s emergency broadcast / crisis notification system. Even though I live in Boca Raton, FL I knew instantly when the situation became critical in Valley City. I not only received a voice mail, I got a text message that directed me to check my email for an emergency message.

    I have attended and worked at several universities and this was by far the best emergency communication I had ever received.

    Just when I thought that staff had gone above and beyond with customer service and concern for students I received a phone call. The gentleman (I think his name was John) was calling me to check to make sure that I was okay and if I was in any need.

    WOW…Is this a great college or what!

    ReplyDelete