Thursday, April 2, 2009

Fool me once, shame on......Don't get fooled again!

It's April Fools week, so I figured that is excuse enough to write about light fluffy stuff--like the snow we got April Fools day.

I think Mother Nature's sense of humor is way out of whack on this one. It's one thing to have snow April 1 when it's been warm and melting and lovely for a week or two prior. That's a real April Fools joke. Ha! Look! It snowed and it was so nice! And then it melts.

But this is ridiculous. We haven't even had a taste of spring yet. It's winter in perpetuity--like Dante's lowest circle of hell, only cold.

If I have calculated correctly, I'm pretty sure we got our first staying snow in November. That's five solid months of winter. And when you factor in the months of subzero-never-getting-above-zero-even-for-a-second temperatures, the literally five to six FEET of snow in some areas, and the horrid storms and road conditions, I think that multiplies out to........three years.

I read that April Fools Day started when the calendar changed from starting April 1 to January 1 and those who stuck to the old date had tricks played on them. However, other historians say it's been referenced much further back than that.

I prefer to believe it had much more to do with people going nuts from cabin fever after a stupidly long winter. If they didn't create their own fun, they'd have to shoot themselves to avoid killing someone else. Short sheeting a couple beds sounds like a much healthier alternative to homicide.

So I'm pretty bitter about this April Fools joke. However, today, April 2, it is sunny and warm, and I think I smelled spring for the first time today. If you don't know what that smell is, it's the scent of thawing soil. It's divine.

To narrowly tie this post into something media related, I will link to the favorite office pranks that MSN listed yesterday. Maybe it will give some people some ideas for next year.

Let's just hope Mother Nature has had her jollies and decides to lighten up next go around.

What if she just gets meaner??

5 comments:

  1. I loved your MSN listing of office pranks. These are things that make work fun and keep office morale up. Most of them I should say. The pretty secretary one was not one I would appreciate, especially in today's economy. That joke would devastate me since I was layed off from a job six years ago and know the feelings you go through.

    I remember last year in April we had a snowstorm because we drove home in it from a basketball tournament for my 6th grader!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, to brighten your spirits, its said we're suppose to have one if not two more storms this spring yet.. So keep out those shovels!
    Another thing I must say is that if Mother Nature goes "Here - warm weather!" and its like 50 degrees or so ...we'll have some melting going on - rutro =\ that won't be good.
    Funny link to MSN as well. People were too down with this weather to come up with anything to crazy at my workplace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I lived in the dorms I would always do little things to my roommate as he would do in return. We then teamed up and would get our buddy down a floor and down the hall. A lot of the office pranks on that list are very similar to the ones that we would pull on one another. It was probably the best time I had in the dorms. This April I would have to agree with you that mother nature is kind of being a pain in our rears, the rain and snow doesnt help with the flooding. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree that i am tired of snow and rain this winter. i had taken my golf clubs out the other day and now we got all this snow and cold weather again. i am just itching to hit the links if it is not going to be flooded>> HOPE not. I like the MSN like it was pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with you, I am not a big fan of April Fools Day jokes and I do find that Mother Nature has one heck of a sense of humor.

    For April Fools day this year I got would what could be counted as a Great Northern Winter Cold. The weather here in Boca was a beautiful 80 degrees and I was stricken with Bronchitis.

    What the heck is that about? Was Mother Nature saying to me to bad I am going to give you a wonderfully terrible cold that you can’t get over for four weeks and you won’t be able to enjoy the weather and welcome to spring?

    Yes the Grand Lady of Nature indeed has a unique sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete